SU VA Benefits Request Form (pdf)

Yellow Ribbon Participation
  2014-2015 (pdf)



GI Bill Helpline

U.S. Department of
Veterans Affairs

VA CareerScope

NYS Department of
Veterans Affairs

National Resource Directory

Google for Veterans

Syracuse University

DOD MWR Libraries–
College Preparation

Useful Documents

Regional Resources

Frequently Asked Questions

Veterans Resource Center
700 University Ave., Room 107
Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m.

Veterans Lounge
700 University Ave., Room 310
Monday-Thursday 1-8 p.m.
Friday 1-4 p.m.
Summer hours vary.

New Students & Transfer Students

Transfer Students Resources [read more]

New Students

Post-9/11 GI Bill use at SU

Still trying to decide? If you are still trying to decide which chapter is appropriate for your educational goals you should visit the GI Bill web site. The decision to use the Post-9/11 GI Bill is irrevocable. Weigh your options carefully. Feel free to contact us if you would like to discuss your goals and options personally.

• If you haven’t already done so, you will need to notify the Veterans Administration that you wish to use the Post-9/11 GI Bill Educational Benefit by completing a 22-1990 (or 22-1990E if transferring benefit to a dependent).
- If transferring educational benefis (TEB) to a dependent, there is a preliminary step to apply with the Department of Defense. Visit the DOD web site to apply.

• The VA 22-1990 or 22-1990E may be done online through VONAPP. After this is done, the VA will send a Certificate of Eligibility (CoE). You must submit a copy of the Certificate of Eligibility that you receive from the VA (which may take several weeks after you submit the 22-1990/22-1990E) with your request for benefit certification form. You may send the form by scanning and e-mailing it, or by mail, fax, or drop off.

• If you do not yet have the Certificate of Eligibility, we can assist you in working with the Bursar’s Office if we have copies of the documents submitted prior to being issued the CoE. There are two such documents:
- a copy of your DD-214, or in the case of dependents, the TEB approval from the Department of Defense, AND
- a copy of the VA 22-1990 (veterans) or VA 22-1990E (dependents).

Required SU application: When you are ready to enroll at Syracuse, there is a form that needs to be completed for each term in which you want to use your benefits. The Request for Certification form is needed because in some terms student-veterans do not want to use months of benefit entitlement.


Admissions Fee Waiver

Post-9/11 veterans of the armed forces may have their admissions fee waived upon verification by Veterans Resource Center Staff. Identify yourself as a Post-9/11 Veteran while completing the online admissions application and contact the Veterans Resource Center for further instructions, 315/443-3261 or 315/443-9297. You will need to provide your Certificate of Eligibility or the combination of your DD-214 and a copy of your submitted VA 22-1990 application.

Financial Aid

Students may apply for and receive federal aid to which they are entitled, in addition to Veterans Educational Benefits. Syracuse University encourages all students to apply for financial aid. The aid process begins by filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at Additional instructions for undergraduates (full-time and part-time), graduates and law students may be found on the SU financial aid pages. Student veterans may wish to consider applying for financial aid to provide financial resources during gap periods when Veterans Educational Benefit payments are unavailable or prior to payments starting (i.e., in case of delays).

> What you need to know about your federal student loan benefits.

Student Account/Bursar Bill

Upon matriculation or first enrollment, a student account is created for each student. Students may view account information online using MySlice, with his/her NetID and password. Veterans Educational Benefit payments received by the university are posted to the student account. Credit balances resulting from overpayment of charges may be refunded upon request. Refund requests are placed online using MySlice. Click here for additional information about Bursar Accounts.

The Veterans Resource Center will assist with payment deferrals while awaiting Post-9/11 GI Bill tuition and fee payments provided the student and submitted required documentation. Required documents are:

In lieu of CoE, documents submitted prior to being issued the CoE are acceptable. There are two such documents:

  • a copy of your DD-214, or in the case of dependents, the TEB approval from the Department of Defense, AND
  • a copy of the VA 22-1990 (veterans) or VA 22-1990E (dependents)

Syracuse University Veterans Resource Center • 315-443-9297 •
700 University Avenue, Syracuse, NY 13244