SU VA Benefits Request Form (pdf)

Yellow Ribbon Participation
  2014-2015 (pdf)



GI Bill Helpline

U.S. Department of
Veterans Affairs

VA CareerScope

NYS Department of
Veterans Affairs

National Resource Directory

Google for Veterans

Syracuse University

DOD MWR Libraries–
College Preparation

Useful Documents

Regional Resources

Frequently Asked Questions

Veterans Resource Center
700 University Ave., Room 107
Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m.

Veterans Lounge
700 University Ave., Room 310
Monday-Thursday 1-8 p.m.
Friday 1-4 p.m.
Summer hours vary.

VA Educational Benefit Descriptions

The VA administers several education programs as set forth by law, Title 38 United States Code. Each program is found in a different chapter of the law and this number is often used to refer to each of the different programs. They also have specific names. Each program provides different benefits for different groups of individuals.

Chapter 33 Known as the Post-9/11 GI Bill, the newest benefit program was created for individuals who have served on Active Duty after 9/10/01. Rate of payment is based on the length of time served. Payments do not begin until August 1, 2009.

Chapter 30 The Montgomery GI Bill – Active Duty, is the most common program. Is it for individuals who entered on Active Duty anytime since July 1, 1985 and who paid into an education fund for one year.

Chapter 1606 The Montgomery GI Bill – Selective Reserves is for individuals in the Selected Reserve or National Guard (not on Active Duty). They must be actively drilling and under a 6-year contract. They are eligible for benefits only as long as they remain in the Reserves or Guard.

Chapter 1607 The Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) is a recent Department of Defense education benefit program, designed to provide educational assistance to members of the Reserve components called or ordered to Active Duty in response to war or national emergency (contingency operation) as declared by the President or Congress. This program makes certain individuals who were activated after September 10, 2001, either eligible for education benefits or increased benefits.

Chapter 35 The Dependents Educational Assistance Program (DEA) is for dependents of a member of the Armed Forces who died on active duty or as the result of a service-connected disability, or is 100% permanently and totally disabled based on a service-related reason. Dependents receive up to 45 months of full-time benefits. Children are generally eligible for benefits between the ages of 18 and 26, but in certain instances may begin before age 18 and continue beyond age 26. They have a VA file or claim number (C#) that is related to the parent or spouse under whom they are eligible. The dependent’s file is also identified with a suffix (10 or W, 41 or A, 42 or B, etc.). The Chapter 35 program has its own application form (VA Form 22-5490), and its own Change of Program/Training form (VA Form 22-5495).

Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) is a program for disabled veterans. This is a unique program. Full tuition, fees, books, and in many cases parking costs are paid by the VA to the school. In addition, the student gets a monthly stipend depending on training status. THIS IS NOT THE GI BILL and NOT an educational benefit program. Education costs may be part of rehabilitation and training for employment. Veteran must work with VR&E case worker for eligibility information.

Note: Monthly housing allowances are paid ‘in arrears’ to eligible students, meaning that payments at the beginning of the month are for the prior month’s attendance. This also means that payments do not begin when classes begin. Students need to be prepared to pay housing costs in advance of receiving housing allowance from the VA.

We look forward to welcoming you to campus, where you will find other veterans studying and visiting in the Veterans Lounge on the third floor at 700 University Ave. (room 310). During the academic year, it is open Monday-Thursday 1-8 p.m.and Friday 1-5 p.m., staffed by one or more veterans. During the summer, hours vary. If the room is closed when you arrive, stop by room 107, and we’ll open it for you.

If you need specific Veterans Eligibility information about your own eligibility, you must call the VA directly, since we do not have, nor are we able to provide veteran-specific student information. The phone number is 1-888-GIBILL1 (1-888-442-4551); the web site is

NYS Veterans Award information
If your admission process is delayed for any reason, you may enroll for up to two semesters as a nonmatriculated student.

Syracuse University Veterans Resource Center • 315-443-9297 •
700 University Avenue, Syracuse, NY 13244