VA Benefit Request
The Veterans Resource Center will assist with payment deferrals while awaiting Post 9/11 GI Bill tuition and fee payments provided the student and submitted required documentation.
Post-9/11 GI Bill use at SU
- Still trying to decide? If you are still trying to decide which chapter is appropriate for your educational goals you should visit the GI Bill web site. The decision to use the Post-9/11 GI Bill is irrevocable. Weigh your options carefully. Feel free to contact us if you would like to discuss your goals and options personally. Click here to view VA GI Comparison Tool
- If you haven’t already done so, you will need to notify the Veterans Administration that you wish to use the Post-9/11 GI Bill Educational Benefit by completing a 22-1990 (or 22-1990E if transferring benefit to a dependent).
– If transferring educational benefis (TEB) to a dependent, there is a preliminary step to apply with the Department of Defense. Visit the DOD web site to apply.
- The VA 22-1990 or 22-1990E may be done online through VONAPP. After this is done, the VA will send a Certificate of Eligibility (CoE). You must submit a copy of the Certificate of Eligibility that you receive from the VA (which may take several weeks after you submit the 22-1990/22-1990E) with your request for benefit certification form. You may send the form by scanning and e-mailing it, or by mail, fax, or drop off.
- If you do not yet have the Certificate of Eligibility, we can assist you in working with the Bursar’s Office if we have copies of the documents submitted prior to being issued the CoE. There are two such documents:
– a copy of your DD-214, or in the case of dependents, the TEB approval from the Department of Defense, AND
– a copy of the VA 22-1990 (veterans) or VA 22-1990E (dependents).
- Required SU application: When you are ready to enroll at Syracuse, there is a form that needs to be completed for each term in which you want to use your benefits. The Request for Certification 2016-2017 is needed because in some terms student-veterans do not want to use months of benefit entitlement.
Request for Benefit Certification form
- Request for Certification 2016-2017 required each term.
- A “To Do” item will appear in MySlice for each term. Students may submit the form or notify the Veterans Resource Center, email@example.com, that they do not intend to use benefit eligibility for a given term.
– Fall term forms accepted beginning April 1
– Spring term forms accepted beginning October 1
– Summer term forms accepted beginning February 1
Students may apply for and receive federal aid to which they are entitled in addition to Veterans Educational Benefits. Syracuse University encourages all students to apply for financial aid. The aid process begins by filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.ed.gov. Additional instructions for undergraduates, graduates and law students may be found on the financial aid pages. Student veterans may wish to consider applying for financial aid to provide financial resources during gap periods when Veterans Educational Benefit payments are unavailable or prior to their starting, in case of delays.
Student Account / Bursar Bill
Students may view account information online using MySlice, with his/her NetID and password. Veterans Educational Benefit payments received by the University are posted to the student account. Credit balances resulting from overpayment of charges may be refunded upon request. Refund requests are placed online using MySlice. Click here for additional information about Bursar Accounts.
The Veterans Resource Center will assist with payment deferrals while awaiting Post 9/11 GI Bill tuition and fee payments provided the student and submitted required documentation. Required documents are
- Request for Certification 2016-2017 required each term benefits to be used.
- Certificate of Eligibility / CoE (one-time requirement, or, if updated by VA, new copy required).
Prior to being issued the CoE, there are two acceptable documents that may be submitted.
- a copy of your DD-214, or in the case of dependents, the TEB approval from the Department of Defense
- a copy of the VA 22-1990 (veterans) or VA 22-1990E (dependents)